I’ve pretty much had a life long love affair with cheese. I’m one of those people who could “never” be a vegan because you, know, cheese. It doesn’t really matter what kind of cheese, it pretty much just needs to be cheese. Unfortunately, I’ve recently become aware that cheese doesn’t really love me back. However, the story has a happy ending. Those of you know me also know that I have a mission to find interesting plant based recipes and share them with you. This one has pretty much rocked my world.
Warm “Vegveeta” Cheese Dip
Yield: 1.5 cups
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon tahini (or 1/8 cup pine nuts)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup + 1-3 tablespoons plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (little scant) paprika
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (for color)
- 1 tablespoon neutral-flavored oil
- Optional: 1 1/2-2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1. Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until very, very smooth (start with 1 cup + 1 tablespoon milk).
- 2. Transfer mixture to a small/medium saucepan, and heat over low/low-medium heat for 5-8 minutes, until mixture is starting to slowly bubble and thicken (stir frequently through heating).
- 3. To thin sauce slightly, stir in another 1-2 tablespoons of milk. Avoid thickening sauce over high heat (or increasing heat too quickly), since this sauce can scorch easily.
- 4. Once sauce has thickened, transfer to a serving dish and get dipping – I tweaked it just a little and added some Beyond Meat Fiesty crumbles, Penzey’s Bold Taco seasoning and a bit of jalapeno. Delicious non-cheesy goodness!